The firmware used by National Instruments and Robomatter for their respective programming environments has been pushed to Github. It is based on the sources of LEGO’s firmware version 1.05A. Please note that only the master branch has been pushed out, the private development branches will remain as such.
The extended firmware sports a number of improvements, including:
- opcodes to turn off auto-id
- opcodes to force a connection type for the sensors
- opcodes to allow additional 3rd party VMs to co-exist with the LMS2012 VM
- Greatly reduced shutdown times
- Fixes for the I2C subsystem
- non-blocking opcodes to access the I2C devices, through additional ioctls
- Checkout the full Git log for more details.
The firmware is still compatible with the LEGO firmware and VM. Not all the features will be available to the EV3 Programming Environment until someone figures out how to make a VI that can access these new opcodes and create new blocks.
You can take a look here: [LINK]. Clone at will and have at it!