After the initial post about my thermal imaging system using the Dexter Industries Thermal Infrared Sensor, I made some improvements with both the speed and accuracy of the whole thing. I made the sensor sampling interval time based, rather than encoder value based.  This proved to be a lot better at getting consistent sampling rates.  I also doubled the horizontal motor speed so I would be more likely to be still awake by the time it was done taking an image.

The left image was made with the old system, the right one with the new system. It’s a lot less fuzzy and there are no black gaps where the number of samples were fewer than the maximum number of samples in a row.

Old systemNew system

Perhaps there are other ways to improve the program but I am quite happy with how this has turned out.

Tags